> Piggy back on Ciclo

> Go inside and attempt to find/question the client.



Looks pretty empty. It is a weekday.

I guess you'd better go ask the receptionist where the curator is.

> Just ask the receptionist where the curator is. We don't want to waste time, the package is in danger.


"Um. Excuse me, I need to speak to the curator urgently. Where can I find him?"


"Third floor. The door that says "MUSEUM CURATOR" on it. You can't miss it."

That was painless. You guess.

>Hurry! Time is of the essence!

You're on the clock, and chasing down criminals is not in your job description. Your first priority is to meet the client. You're really not terribly anxious to get yelled at by your boss right away. She looks nice enough, but oh, the tales you have heard.


You locate his office without trouble. The floor tiles are giving you a headache, though.

You knock.

"Come in."


The diminuative octogenarian leaps out of his seat at the sight of your bright, recognizable uniform.

"You're the courier, aren't you?! Is it safe? Do you have it?!"

"Well, about that ..."

"Please, tell me you have it!"

"A funny thing happened to me on the way here.

I got mugged."


"Oh dear, dear me. I was afraid you were going to say that."

"I am sincerely sorry, sir. I was ambushed by a large robot and its pilot. They nearly killed me. Incidentally, you may want to take a look at the front steps and call your insurer."

He shakes his head. The distraught expression behind his moustache is making you uneasy.

"Then it's just as I feared."

You are obligated to keep your deliveries confidential, but you figure that has all gone out the window after almost losing your life. It's a good thing Queen Bee isn't here to see you violating your code of ethics like this.

"I don't suppose you would care to enlighten me as to why this package is so important? The guy who mugged me seemed to know exactly what he was doing."


The old man sighs resignedly.

"I suppose I owe you at least that much. You see, that package contained ..."

>The Heart Of Atlas


"That package contained a device known as the Heart Of Atlas, the result of a 50-year study on perpetual energy. They didn't quite succeed, but supposedly a single heart could power a major metropolis singlehandedly for generations. I'm not quite sure how it works, myself, but it was going to be the centerpiece of our technology wing for a few months."


"Do you really expect me to believe something so far-fetched? Why hasn't this already been implemented all over the world?"

"It's very expensive to make these things, you know! You can't just replace all of the power plants in the world in a day. I am lead to believe that the Heart is still experimental at this stage, and as such the only equipment that can properly tap into its power is owned by the scientists who created it."

"This is a little hard to believe! Surely, several fundamental laws of physics are being violated."

"Don't you read the news, young lady? Perhaps you'd like to take it up with your transforming, hand-crank moped robot.

I'm sure you could imagine that the Heart is an incredibly high security item. We sent a armored van decoy and gave you the real thing, but they still found out somehow."

""They" who?!"

"I haven't the foggiest. Any nation would love to get their hands on an almost unlimited power resource. But I can tell you that whoever does gets their hands on it could easily have the entire world at their mercy. A war of unimaginable magnitude could unfold. World conquest."


"I ... this is a lot to take in."


"You saw your assailant up close, didn't you? You may be our only chance to track them down before it's too late!"

"But what can I do? I'm just a courier!"

"Please, I beg of you! The entire world may depend on it!"

This is out of control! You've always liked spy movies, but you're no secret agent.

You feel obligated to recover the package as a delivery woman. But this sounds really dangerous! You could be contending with an entire army!

What do you do?

>get the Heart of Atlas and kick some ass


You're going to save the world, you guess? This is all very sudden. You're not sure you're cut out for this sort of thing.

>If you go save the world, you might meet a cute guy


You'd better get back to The Hive.


"Wait! I don't even know what I'm supposed to do!"

"Don't worry, young lady. You seem uncannily suited for this sort of thing. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Best of luck!"

That's just great. You guess the logical way to start would be to find out who ambushed you. And unfortunately, you know exactly who to ask.

But before you can do that, you have a promise to keep.


>Go ask the presumably unpleasant person you alluded to

As much as you'd like to avoid your boss right now, Klaus isn't working today. You'll have to wait until tomorrow. As for right now, there's only one thing left to do ...


You return to The Hive.

"Hey! How'd it go?"

You explain the situation to Queen Bee.


"I'm fired, aren't I?"


"Nng. I can't fire you for getting mugged in broad daylight, Imme! That package was insured, and we have no liability. My most pressing concern right now is RoBoten."

"What have they got to do with it? You don't think they're responsible for this, do you?"

"No, but they're going to have a field day with this when word gets to the press. RoBoten would love nothing more than to drive me out of business so they can secure a complete monopoly of postal services in Dresda. Headlines like "Robot Assailant Steals Priceless Technology From Human Courier" aren't exactly going to instill my customers with unshakable confidence."


"Well ... I guess I need to get that package back, then."

"Sweetheart, are you kidding? You're not a superhero! You let me worry about this.

Look, why don't you take the rest of the day off? You still look pretty shaken. I'll have Ilo fill in for you."

Well, you can't really object to that. You'd certainly prefer wallowing to working right now. You haven't had lunch yet, either.

> Go home, rest a bit.

You head home. Your apartment is only a short ride from work.

It looks like your roommate is home.

"Hey! Home for lunch?"

"Home for the day."

"I got mugged on a delivery and lost a priceless piece of theoretical technology that could spell the end of civilization as we know it, and I ruined Honeypot's public image while I was at it."

"All that before lunch? You deserve a raise!"

"I have singlehandedly plunged the world into eternal darkness."

"You are such a drama queen. Stop being so hard on yourself! I'm sure it's not as bad as all that."

"I guess. I don't know."

"I do. You need to relax. No matter how bad it actually is, worrying isn't going to help."

"Yeah ... thanks."

As much as you don't want to just sit around and do nothing, Klara is probably right. You don't have much of an appetite right now, so you retire to your room.

You are in your room. You have a variety of interests. You have a passion for robotics and technology in general. Your work desk is littered with yet unfinished projects and sundry tools and components. By necessity, you are also an amateur programmer, and your shelves are stocked with various technical manuals. You enjoy collecting antique robot toys and modding them to be real robots. You are fond of video games, and retro gaming in particular. You own several old gaming consoles you bought on the internet.

Old school video games?! It'd be awesome to see your collection.

This is your oldest console. It uses cartridges and everything! It came out at the genesis of 3D gaming. The graphics are very blocky and primitive, and the controller is not very ergonomic, but you love it. You are inspired that the manufacturers (and their competitors) forged ahead with new technology, even if it wasn't perfect. They set a precedent for all consoles to come.

This one is the earliest disk-based system you own. It was released in-between two generations of consoles and ultimately failed to compete with newer technology. The company never really recovered. It has a lot of bizarre and wonderful games, though.

This is your newest one, and probably your favorite. It is backwards compatible with an older console by the same company! That didn't start being a stock feature until this console came out. Both of the consoles have great games, but you tend to favor the older one because it has your favorite game on it. You sneak around on a spy mission and fight magic soldiers and blow up a giant robot! You have some of the sequels, too, but they're not as cool.

> Check on your 'bots.

Your robots are not as cool as giant mecha, but ...

This one is actually a video game peripheral for a very old console made by the same company that made your cartridge-based console. It didn't really do much ... and it still doesn't. He's cute, though.

This is the best one.

This is a little cleaning robot you've been working on. Your roommate snuck in here and drew on it. You should stop leaving pens on your desk. It's kind of growing on you, though.

These robots are all very simplistic. Ciclo is your pride and joy; it took years of tinkering to get him like he is. You don't care how silly a transforming bike is, it's really cool.

You're not really in the mood to play video games or work on anything, though. You sort of just wanna lie down and pretend today didn't happen.

> Sleep as the world falls into total chaos

You'll just lie down for a little bit.

You are a lot sleepier than you thought you were. You got a full night's rest ...

>Take some deep breaths


That was unpleasant, whatever it was. No more sleeping on an empty stomach.

Unfortunately, it is not enough to deter you from an irrational and absurd sense of obligation to find the culprit behind your mugging.

You know what you will have to do tomorrow at work, and you're not looking forward to it.

Your co-worker Klaus is chatting with your boss. Everyone calls him "Klaus the Louse" behind his back, and sometimes in front of it. He is a generally repulsive, selfish, weasely, insufferable sort of person who makes no secret of his criminal affiliations. You are to understand that the only reason he is employed here is because he is guaranteed safe passage to the rougher spots of the city where the RoBoten couriers are frequently robbed. Queen Bee is scary enough to keep him under her thumb.

Although he has no particular allegiance, he does get around in all the wrong sorts of circles and seems to have a good idea of what goes on in the city's underbelly. He's your best bet, frustrating as it is.

It looks like he's leaving to go on his lunch break. Now's your chance.

"Hey, Klaus."

"Ugh. It pains me to ask this, but ... I need your help."

"Oh yes? I suppose you'd like me to take over some of your deliveries because you're tired of being able to afford a nice apartment?"

"No, you jackass. I want to find out about the robot that mugged me yesterday. I need some information."

"If information is what you seek, might I suggest the public library?"

"UGH, you- ... "

"I get it, I get it. Just name your price."

"This is adorable, you think you're in a detective story! Information doesn't come cheap, Imme. And why should I help you, anyway?"

"Because you're a fine, upstanding citizen."

"Oh ho! You're quite the comedienne. Now, if you're done entertaining me, I'd like to go entertain my stomach."

"Look, this is really important, Klaus. Just tell me what you want."

"Well ... I suppose there is something you could do for me. Surely it's well within the means of the highest paid courier at Honeypot?"

You're sorry to say you have a pretty good idea of what that something is.

> Lunch at some sort of expensive place

You were afraid of this. Klaus is having you foot the bill at his favorite hole in the wall sushi bar. The food is not particularly expensive, but Klaus is a pig. Sitting next to him while he stuffs his face is not your first choice for how you'd like to spend your lunch hour.

"Alright, you animal. I've indulged you. Now can you tell me anything about that big robot?"

"I don't know any of the details, but supposedly this group of foreign hackers and roboticists called the Electric Sheep Society is behind the rash of similar tech burglaries all over the country in the past few weeks. In every incident eyewitnesses described robots that looked like giant billiard balls. Hey, can I have your soy sauce packets?"

"Why billiard balls?"

"Who knows. They must be big into symbolism with that pretentious name of theirs."

"I don't suppose you know where to find these guys?"

"I'll take that as a "yes" on the soy sauce."


"You know, I checked their company website, but their contact info was strangely absent! If it were that easy, don't you think the police would have gotten to them by now?"

"I don't get it. What would some punks like that want with the Heart of Atlas? What could they possibly do with something that powerful?"

"How should I know? Maybe they'll try to sell it. I'm sure tech like that commands a hefty price on the black market. More than a hobbyist like yourself could afford, that's for sure."

"Can you tell me anything else about them?"

"I think they're robot rights activists or something. Probably wanted for acts of technological terrorism and things like that. And the hacking. Maybe they'll follow you home and protest you riding a robot to work every day! Heh."

You don't think Klaus has anything more useful to say. You will not be sorry to cut this encounter short. You plop some money down on the counter and jet.

"Leaving so soon? Let's do this again sometime! Your treat!"


That's enough of that. Now you have a lead, but what to do with it? You're still pretty fresh at this whole sleuthing thing.